A Utility Savings Solutions energy survey is an assessment of your business and buildings, to look for areas of potential energy reduction and cost savings. The goal is to identify and correct wastes of energy, cut costs, and stop bad habits and practices.
Our team will conduct the energy survey by taking a walk around the offices, building and facilities to observe what is happening on the ground, identify bad and wasteful energy use and habits, and identify opportunities for energy saving.
The survey will look at varying time periods so as to find out the different energy usage throughout the day and at different periods. Surveys can take into consideration energy usage during normal weekday during office hours, at busy and peak hours, at lunchtime, after office hours, and during weekends
We will use copies of past and current utility bills, meter data, maintenance records, and other energy information to help us find ways to increase profitability, so please make sure these documents are available to our staff during the survey.
In addition to our survey recommendations, here are some areas that your staff can focus on to participate in your energy savings program:
- Is office equipment left on standby after office hours and during weekends? Can we switch them off easily?
- Do the computers, printers, photocopiers and other equipment have built-in energy saving features? Are we using these features and do we know how to use them?
- Are vending machines and water coolers left on at night? Can we use timers to switch them off after office hours?
- Are lights switched off in unoccupied areas or if there is sufficient daylight? Can we reduce unnecessary lighting?
- Can we use motion sensors for the stairs and carpark?
- Are lights switched off when no one is in the room or office? Who is responsible to switch off the lights after office hours?
- Are external and facade lighting switched off during the day? Can we adjust the timers to switch off the lighting earlier?
- Are light fittings arranged strategically and light switches labelled properly?
- Are we still using inefficient lighting? Can we change to energy efficient light bulbs and tubes?
Air-Conditioning and Ventilation
- Is the office too warm or cold?
- When is the air conditioning switched off and on during the day?
- Are the windows and doors open when the air-conditioning is on?
- Are the air-conditioning and ventilation system maintained and serviced regularly? Are the settings optimised and correct?
- Are there obstructions at air inlets and outlets?
- Do boilers, pumps, fans and other equipment have the correct and optimised settings?
- Are the equipment serviced and maintained regularly?
- Are the equipment misused by operators who are not trained properly?
- Are there any compressed air, refrigerant or steam leaks?
- Are there opportunities to tap waste heat from equipment and exhaust gases?
After the energy survey is completed, we will go over the findings with you and help you decide what actions to take.
We will first recommend the no-cost or low-cost actions, such as educating employees, changing habits and practices, proper maintenance of equipment, changing energy settings and removing unnecessary lighting.
Next, we will help you consider the higher-cost actions such as installing energy controllers, LED lighting, and HVAC and refrigeration upgrades using state of the art energy saving technologies.
Remember to keep the management and employees of your business informed of the energy survey findings, actions taken and energy savings.